Call Out For Freelance Stage Managers
Upswing is one of the UK’s leading contemporary circus companies. We use circus to tell stories in
extraordinary ways – amplifying and celebrating the skills, creative talents and stories of diverse
artists and communities. We make performances and participatory experiences that connect people
in unexpected ways.
We are currently expanding our pool of freelance London-based Stage Managers for our touring and outdoor programmes across 2021. After pausing most of our work for the last year, we are now looking for flexible and experienced individuals, with
excellent attention to detail, who can take our existing productions back out on the road as well as
help us to develop new two new productions.
– An up-to-date driving license
– A can-do attitude with the energy and enthusiasm to maintain Upswing’s high level of quality
– A keen problem solver with the ability to anticipate and meet challenges that arise
– Excellent attention to detail
– Proactive, friendly and flexible working approach, with willingness to travel regionally and nationally
We realise these roles often overlap and interchange, and below is a list of general skills required
across Production Manager, Stage Manager, Rigger and Project Manager roles. As training can
often be provided, we are keen to here from experienced production/stage managers who do not
necessarily have rigging experience, and vice versa.
– Experienced in working within the performing arts sector – in particular dance or circus
– Experienced in production / stage managing medium-scale performances taking place in traditional theatre spaces, within community settings (libraries for example), as well in more challenging outdoor environments
– Confidence in rigging staging, set and, ideally, circus equipment
– Excellent organisational skills
– Excellent communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with venue and event staff as well as the general public, audiences and participants
– Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills with the ability work calmly under pressure and to tight schedules
– Knowledge of arts evaluation processes
– A commitment to adhering to Upswing’s Health & Safety, Safeguarding policies, amongst others.
– A valid UK driving license is essential
– Experience in driving large vehicles – LWB transit and Luton vans desirable
Please note: This is not a permanent role or contract. We will be following up your submission with
an email or informal phone call and may invite you to a meeting with Upswing’s Producer.
To Apply: Submit a CV and short cover note giving your general availability from June-December 2021
Send to: email@example.com
Deadline for submissions: 5pm, Thursday, 20 May 2021
For further details about Upswing, please visit our website
Diversity and inclusion is at the heart of everything Upswing exists to achieve, and we are
particularly interested in receiving applications from ethnically diverse workers.